Bringing you the issues since 1986

View Online Print Edition

Columns

Don’t support puppy mills

Claim an un-claimed dog at Rosie’s

More and more animals are abandoned, said Diane, a volunteer from Rosie Animal Adoption. The causes are unclear, but she can speculate.

To adopt Jaycee, 514-217-DOGS

“It could be because the family is moving and their new apartments won’t allow dogs,” she said. “It could be a change in the family situation. Obviously there’s an overpopulation of pets and an underpopulation of guardians.”

At Rosie’s, they promote spaying, neutering and adoption, she explained. As for buying dogs from pet stores, she said: “Basically, we don’t promote reproducing animals for sale when there are so many existing needing homes. Why would you go to a pet shop and buy one that’s bred rather than buy one that is homeless?”

Bandit, 514-217-DOGS

There are a number of reasons that people buy from stores rather than shelters, but Diane says problems with adoption are easily solved.

“A lot of people say: ‘I want a purebred.’ You can still find purebreds in shelters and rescues. There’s no forcing anyone to go to a pet shop.”

She says there has been an influx of dogs being brought in to shelters, but their adoptions are about the same as they have been in the past.

“We ‘rehome’ about 200 dogs a year.”

The dogs they take in are mostly ones that are unclaimed at a dog pound. “We get some from seniors who are moving to a residence and it’s usually heartbreaking for them.”

Hambone, 514-523-5052

The only time that Rosie’s will euthanise a dog is if that dog is in pain and suffering and the veterinarian recommends that they do so.

“We would never euthanize a dog because we are full or because they were not adopted.”

Rosie’s does their own fundraising, which comes in part from the adoption fees. But it is not enough. The run on donations and the entire staff is comprised of volunteers. They are a registered charity, so they are able to give tax receipts. Info: 514-217-3647, rosieanimaladoption.ca

The dog I didn’t adopt

I’ve been wanting to replace my dear Becky, who died in 2006. She was a giant chihuahua and she had a giant place in my heart for 14 years.

To adopt Paulie, 514-217-DOGS

My partner has not been forthcoming, but he’s given in and I’m searching for a tiny chi who is trained to go in the house on a pad or in litter.

I’ve put my name in at Sophie’s, Rosie’s and Kiko’s adoption agencies and one agency came through with Harley, a tan, five-pound pinscher-chi mix, although it was made clear to me that she is not a pocket dog. She has “legs like springs,” which reminded me of Becky, who in her younger days would jump on the desks of the Senior Times staff.

Harley’s foster parent brought her to visit me one Saturday afternoon. Truthfully, it wasn’t love at first sight, although Harley is adorable. She had energy, this Harley, and ran around surveying my place. Her parent warned me immediately that I would have to secure my front and back porches because Harley could fall right through them and die.

To adopt 7 eleven, 514-523-5052

Next she asked about Dimaggio, my 12-year-old cat, adopted from the SPCA. She said I would have to move his food to a higher spot because Harley would eat it and get kidney problems and die. (Becky didn’t get kidney problems and always ate the cat food that Dimaggio left in his plate.)

She said I would have to move the kitty litter, too, as Harley would eat it and die. “Or you could put a barrier here so Dimaggio could jump over it to get to his litter and then put Harley’s pee pad somewhere else.” Where? I wondered.

We don’t have a huge place. I envisioned Dimaggio having a breakdown over moving the two most important things in his life.

I was concerned about Harley’s energy level. Would she be too energetic for the Senior Times office ladies? Well, Harley’s caretaker offered: “You could take her on a long walk every morning.”

To adopt Jewel, 514-217-DOGS

“But that’s the reason I wanted a very small dog. I don’t want to take her for a long walk every morning,” I retorted, knowing already this was not going to work out. But I continued: “And what about the winter?”

“Oh,” she said, pointing to the treadmill in one of the bedrooms, “you could always put her on that.”

So the moral of the story is: Get a dog that suits your lifestyle. It’s not always about size. It’s about personality and chemistry. The search goes on for a rescue chi, if anyone knows of a perfect fit for me and Dimaggio.

Labels:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment